Is Reiki for Animals Different from Reiki for Humans?
I work with people and I work with animals to help them improve and maintain their quality of life. Reiki is wonderful for our animal companions because it is gentle, noninvasive and does not require physical contact. It does not cause them stress, pain, discomfort or aggravate their issues. Numerous powerful benefits result from Reiki for animals. Just like with humans, animals easily respond to Reiki’s influence to support their healing of emotional, behavioral, and physical illnesses and injuries.
For animals who are ill, Reiki is a wonderful healing method as well as a safe complement to Western Medicine, Chinese Medicine, homeopathy, and all other forms of natural healing. Animal Reiki can reduce the side effects of chemotherapy and surgery. Reiki accelerated the healing of Quincy, a dachshund in my family, after major back surgery.
Reiki treatment for humans generally includes a series of specific hand positions lightly placed upon different areas of the body to identify and stimulate healing. Unlike humans, animals will frequently place certain parts of their bodies that need healing against the hands of the Reiki practitioner. You can use Reiki with a light touch on an animal or from several feet away. Some animals may come forward to receive hands-on treatment. A Reiki practitioner can use distant Reiki to help the healing process.
I encourage Reiki in treating our animal companion’s endocrine glands which include the Pineal and Pituitary, Thyroid and Thymus, Adrenals, Pancreas, Gonads, and Ovaries. And always, follow your intuition on where to place your hands.
Benefits of Reiki for Animals
- It is gentle, noninvasive, painless, and stress-free.
- It goes to the issues that need it most, even when unknown to the animal companion ‘owner’ or practitioner.
- It can be given hands-on or from a distance and adapted to nearly any issue or animal.
- It can do no harm to either recipient or practitioner.
- Animals can influence their partnership in the treatment.
Our animal companions are highly sensitive to the energies of their surroundings. Reiki can serve animals in the following ways:
- Maintain health and well-being on the physical, mental and emotional levels.
- Induce deep relaxation and stress-relief.
- Accelerate healing in ill or injured animals.
- Enhance healing in animals recovering from pre-surgery.
- Help reduce pain and inflammation.
- Help reduce behavior problems.
- Increasing bond between human and animal companion – a great way to ease an animal’s transition to a new home environment or to enhance training your animal companion.
- Help abused animals heal from past mental, emotional and physical trauma.
- Promoting relaxation and calm for animals with emotional issues, anxiety, separation anxiety or stress.
- Complement conventional and alternative therapies.
- Lessen the side effects of medical treatments.
- Support the dying process. Bringing peace and comfort to a dying pet by easing the transition to death.
Studies demonstrate that adoption of animals in shelters and sanctuaries is increasing where the animals are offered Reiki and show positive responses. Since animal Reiki treatments are not dependent upon physical contact for effectiveness, they are wonderful to use with shelter animals. Animals who are fearful, abused or aggressive are perfect for Reiki from a distance. Reiki practitioners can offer Reiki quite successfully whether physical contact is used or not.
My Animal Reiki Approach
I am also a wildlife photographer and I believe every animal is an equal partner in our world. I share Reiki with wildlife resulting in wonderful photographs. Visit my Stephen Bruno Photography website to see the images. This is true in the compassionate Reiki healing process. I teach to never diagnose and always refer clients to a licensed veterinarian when appropriate. Reiki is not a substitute for taking your animal companion to your veterinarian. If your animal companion needs immediate assistance, please contact your veterinarian immediately. I recommend that we respect our animal companion’s own healing process without judgment or attachment to the results.
People come in and out of our lives to help us with our personal growth. Our animal companions offer this as well. Our animal companions can reflect our thoughts, feelings, physical maladies, and even the significant issues we are dealing within our lives. One woman I worked with who developed a severe case of agoraphobia and intestinal maladies found her small dog had developed the same symptoms. As soon as I helped the woman embrace her issues, the dog’s issues were also resolved. The dog mirrored the woman’s symptoms. It is not always this clear to see with your animal companions. Frequently our animal companions are showing us what we need to work on and where we do not have a natural balance. My many years as an animal communicator has guided me well in understanding the dynamics of mirroring.
Using Reiki to Connect With Your Animal Companion
Establish a strong sense of calmness and inner peace. Breathe deeply several times to relax your entire body. Release your fears and attachments to the outcome of Reiki and the well-being of your animal companion. Encourage your animal companion to embrace you and Reiki with your heartfelt love and compassion. Experience a developing harmony with both you and your animal companion. The average session usually lasts about 45 minutes and can go as long as 90 minutes.
As it is with humans, your relationship and approach with animal companions are essential to the quality of the Reiki treatment.
- Take time to establish a meaningful rapport with humans and animal companions.
- Allow the animal companion to initiate the physical connection. Allow them to come to you for hands-on Reiki treatments.
- Support the animal companion to move around freely and not feel ‘trapped’ in any location during the treatment.
- Animal companions will frequently relax when receiving Reiki.
- They may lay down, fall asleep, yawn, lick or sigh.
- Water is important to have available, as they often become thirsty during and after the treatment. Water also helps to restore balance and cleanse.
Animal Reiki Classes
Each of my Reiki Certification classes provides Reiki treatments for animals. I also offer Animal Reiki Certification Classes that teach topics that include:
- What is Reiki?
- Patterns of Disharmony
- How to create a safe energy space.
- Why animals love Reiki.
- How Reiki can help animals.
- Wildlife and Reiki
- What a typical animal Reiki treatment looks like.
- Treatment for horses, dogs, cats, birds, fish, and small animals.
- The complete animal Reiki treatment.
- Treatment with Reiki, meridians, chakras, and Chi energy.
- Reiki in treating our animal companion’s endocrine glands.